- Receives work assignment from Supervisor, determines work, materials and requirements for tools and equipment, collects required items and proceeds to the worksite to carry out the job.
- Examines objects to be moved, estimate their size, shape and weight and on the equipment necessary.
- Calculates the load bearing capacity of structures for rigging cable and hardware and prepares sketches or blueprints rigging techniques. Make sure that loads do not exceed lifting capacities of the cranes.
- Attach lifting devices to hoisting equipment and items to be moved using clamps, hooks, bolts and knots
- Choose and use slings and other grappling devices, covering sharp corners with padding to prevent damage to the slings
- Where the load is not visible to crane or winch operators, hand signal, whistles or two way radios are used. Rigger has to be continually alert for objects which may come in the path of the load.
- Guide loads into position as they are lowered.
- Inspect chains, slings, ropes, cables, hooks and lifting gears for flaws and damage such as cracks, wear, corrosion and report defects.
- Make sure that safety requirements are met at all times.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions in the rigging trade.
- Physically fit with good hearing and vision. Able to judge distances and to work at heights.
- Eight (8) years experience in a gas plant, refinery or petrochemical industry as a rigger